Saturday, February 2, 2013

Your face, Lord, I will seek.

This morning I find myself still curled up in my bed with a cup of coffee, a bagel, my journal, and my Bible. My hair is just a little bit tangly and I'm still in the sweatshirt I slept in, but it's kind of my own little oasis and safe haven.  It's the only way that I knew to end this long week.

It's been one of those weeks where nothing really makes sense.

I have cried nearly every day for some reason or another, but I have also laughed so hard to the point that it hurts.

I have lost all sense of understanding for the future, but I have also been overwhelmed by a sense of peace.

I have had my heart hurting for so many friends and then have been reminded by the Lord that He is Sovereign and that He loves each of my friends more than I ever could.

I have had moments of complete and utter panic that have been replaced by moments of excitement and freedom.

I have made difficult decisions that I never wanted to make, but still have known that it is what the Lord wanted.

And so this Saturday morning, I am taking a little personal time... time to relax, breathe, and reflect. The Lord so perfectly and specifically gave me Psalm 27 to read this morning.

Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.
One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.
Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; 
I will sing and make music to the Lord.

Hear my voice when I call, O Lord;
be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, Lord, I will seek.
Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.
Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me.
Teach me your way, O Lord; 
lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.
Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, 
for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence. 

I am still confident of this: 
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord; 
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.


After this week, this psalm is the cry of my heart.

Lord Jesus, I echo David's words in this psalm. I pray that I do dwell in Your house all the days of my life and that I can spend eternity gazing upon Your beauty. It has been a confusing week, but my heart will not fear. Lord, I will continue to seek Your face and I pray that You continue to teach me Your good and perfect way. I trust that You are Sovereign and that You are faithful. I trust that You will remain faithful, even if I am faithless. And Lord, I am still confident of this: I will see Your goodness in the land of the living. Heavenly Father, I am waiting for You. In Your perfect and pleasing name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love you sweet friend. This post was beautiful and raw. Praying for you and next year. The Lord is doing great things :)

    ReplyDelete