Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Our God, the Creator and Crafter

The floor was dusty, cold and hard. The smell was rather peculiar and musty. But I sat on the floor, searching, searching for treasures.

These "treasures" were old books, books that could be remade into something new. Books that could be transformed into things of love, creation, and hope.


In my little free time here at Michindoh, my love for creating and crafting has reappeared. My mind swirls with ideas of projects and of things to make.

One woman on the Assigned Team here has a particular love for books and for journals. She makes all of her own journals, using old book covers, thrift store leather pants, thread, and some glue. Out of curiosity I asked her the process, thinking maybe just maybe I would give it shot, but in reality thinking there is no way I have the skill or the patience to pull that off. But in her excitement, Crystal gathered all of the materials I would need and began instructing me on how I could make my very own journal. I must admit, I was a little bit overwhelmed with all of the instructions.

Somehow it happened though. I took all of the supplies and began crafting. Slowly, and then quickly when my patience began to give way. I was excited to think that I would be able to make something actually useful of my own.

And then it was finished. The journal was complete. Nothing overly beautiful and surely not perfect, but it was hand-created.


The pages were blank, but were open for love and for hope and for words. My heart longed to fill the pages of something that I had created.

With that, I decided to simply write the book of Ephesians in the journal. Not my own words, but the words of the Lord. I have a slight love for Paul's letter to the people of Ephesus and those words seemed to be just the thing to fill the pages.


And my desire to craft and make journals has not ended. I have found myself on the floors now of Salvation Army and the super cool old book store here in Hillsdale, searching for books that I can make in to journals... my hands dusty and knees dirty, but overjoyed with the thought that there is a book waiting to be found.
 
There is something incredibly beautiful about old books, worn with stories of their own, that can be restored into something delightfully new and ready for love.


In all of this I have been reminded of the Lord, the ultimate Creator, who adores us and has knitted us together in the most perfect of ways.

He is searching for us. He is not bothered by our dirtiness or the dust around our hearts. He is not overwhelmed by our worn stories that cry out, "I can't." He is not dismayed by our past, for His love goes beyond all comprehension and understanding.

He sees us and sees the beautiful creation that He has made us and that He is making us. He sees us with hope and love and compassion. He desires to love us and to write His truths on our hearts.

The ultimate Creator is not giving up on us. He is restoring us and giving us new life and a new hope. 

"for we are God's workmanship" -Ephesians 2:10


2 comments:

  1. Friend Jordan - I picked up brown and orange (YES ORANGE!) leather stuff at Goodwill. When will you be here to make more books? You might be interested in this as it will give you even more ideas on how to spend your extra time: http://crystalkirgiss.wordpress.com/2012/09/22/writing-an-unlined-life/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I LOVE that you have ORANGE leather. That's wonderful. I just got home to Greensboro so I am going to be checking out lots of thrift shops around here. And thank you for that link! I'm excited about free time.

      Delete